Areas of Practice
- New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, magna cum laude, 2008
- B.A., University of Delaware, magna cum laude, 2005
Elizabeth M. Aboulafia
Elizabeth Aboulafia is a partner in the firm’s Banking department, practicing in the areas of Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights as well as Construction Litigation. Elizabeth represents companies as debtors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in a wide range of industries with a focus on the construction industry. She frequently assists construction contractors obtain resolution of claims and other disputes through the bankruptcy court and alternative dispute resolution under the supervision of the court. Outside of bankruptcy, Elizabeth is also experienced in a variety of construction law issues on behalf of general contractors and subcontractors, including contract compliance, M/WBE certification and claims preparation, negotiation and resolution.
Elizabeth also represents financial institutions, unsecured creditors and other parties in interest in Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. In addition, Elizabeth has developed a specialty of providing legal opinions in connection with a wide variety of commercial real estate and structured finance transactions.
Areas of Concentration
- Construction bankruptcy
- Chapter 11 debtors and creditors
- Construction claims resolution
- M/WBE certification
- Opinion letters
- Currently representing large scale subcontractor and general contractor in chapter 11 case.
- Represented concrete contractor in chapter 11 case resulting in confirmation of chapter 11 plan funded by multi-million dollar mediated settlement of a damages claim arising out of a public construction contract with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
- Represented heavy civil construction company in chapter 11 case resulting in confirmation of chapter 11 plan funded by proceeds of construction claims litigation against public agencies.
- Represented heating and cooling subcontractor in chapter 11 case resulting in confirmation of chapter 11 plan providing for payment in full of creditor claims and reorganization of business.
- Represented heavy construction company in multi million dollar claims litigation in the bankruptcy court arising out of a public construction contract with the State of New York.
- Outside of bankruptcy assisted a heavy civil contractor in an out-of-court restructuring through forming a partnership with another construction firm.
- Represented Chapter 11 debtors in a wide range of industries including trademark licensing, gaming, and hospitality.
- Represented purchaser in multi-million dollar purchase of college campus in Suffolk County, New York.
- Represented secured lenders in multiple single asset real estate chapter 11 cases.
- Represented steering committee of senior secured lenders in sponsoring and confirming chapter 11 plan of reorganization for real estate development company.
- Represented construction contractors pursue recovery of claims against public agencies.
- Represented contractor in formation of M/WBE entity and certification process.
- Representing financial institutions in providing true sale, bankruptcy safe harbor and substantive non-consolidation opinions in connection with structured finance transactions.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute, 2008 - Present
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section, 2008 - Present
- Member, Professional Women in Construction, New York Chapter, 2014 - Present
- Nassau County Bar Association – Bankruptcy and Construction Committees. 2017 - Present
- Construction Financial Management Association, 2017 - Present
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, New York Metro Region (2015 - 2017) by the Super Lawyer legal rating service issued by Thomson Reuters.
News & Speaking Engagements
- June 1, 2018
- August 18, 2017Long Island Business News
- Elizabeth Aboulafia Quoted in American City and County Magazine on the Future of Prevailing Wage LawsAugust 3, 2017
- Elizabeth Aboulafia Published in New York Law Journal on Protecting Payment Rights in a Construction BankruptcyJune 12, 2017
- Cullen and Dykman Successfully Confirms Chapter 11 Plan for Construction Contractor Based on $17.5 Million Dollar Settlement with the Port AuthorityJanuary 6, 2017
- Elizabeth Aboulafia, Hayley Dryer, and Elizabeth Usinger Honored as Long Island Outstanding Women in LawApril 4, 2016
- April 28, 2015
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains $15.358 Million Settlement from the State of New York for GII Industries, Inc. f/k/a Grace Industries, Inc.March 6, 2013