Areas of Practice
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 2011
- B.A., Journalism, University of Maryland, College Park, 2000
- B.A., Economics, University of Maryland, College Park, 2000
Gregory T. Simmons
Gregory T. Simmons is an associate in the firm’s Energy and Utilities practice group, and represents local natural gas distribution companies (LDCs) and other companies on a wide range of matters under the jurisdiction of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and other administrative agencies.
Greg’s practice focuses on the complex interactions between state- and federally regulated entities, and ensuring that clients are in compliance with the law and that their rights are protected under the law.
Areas of Concentration
- Interstate pipeline rate review and settlements
- Interstate pipeline operational issues and settlements
- Interstate pipeline tariff review and dispute counseling
- FERC NAESB compliance (wholesale gas quadrant)
- Jurisdictional review
- State and federal regulatory approvals for merger and acquisition activity
- State rate review and settlements
- State-level operational regulation of LDC activities
- Successfully negotiated on behalf of LDC client in polychlorinated biphenal (PCB) remediation settlement to retain long-term cost protections for client.
- Developed legal arguments that an LDC client used to overcome a city’s threat to stop interstate pipeline’s in-service date to deliver gas to the client.
- Represented group of LDC clients in rate settlement, achieving rate reductions and improvements to operational provisions in pipeline’s tariff.
- Developed regulatory and legal framework for major utility asset transfer petition.
- Assist in rate case development and litigation on behalf of LDC clients in state administrative proceedings.
- Successfully argued before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, Maryland’s intermediate appellate court to defeat adverse return on equity decision.*
- Worked heavily with energy efficiency, smart grid issues, and infrastructure surcharge recovery issues.*
- Participated in all aspects of base rate cases and other proceedings before the Maryland Public Service Commission, from discovery to evidentiary hearings to briefing and appeals.*
Clerked for the Hon. Thomas F. Stansfield in the Circuit Court for Carroll County, Md.