Areas of Practice
- New York State
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., Rutgers Law School, cum laude, 1983
- B.A., Economics, Stony Brook University, magna cum laude, 1980
Thomas R. Slome
Thomas R. Slome is a partner in the ﬁrm's Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights practice, representing a wide variety of creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy, including corporate reorganization, bankruptcy-related litigation, debtor-in-possession and exit ﬁnancing, creditors’ rights, and out of court debt restructuring. Tom’s clients include banks, factors, equipment lessors, mutual funds, hedge and private equity funds, energy service companies, landlords, developers, brokers, hospitals, trustees, creditors’ committees, and debtors.
Tom is the Treasurer of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York. He is also the former Chair and currently a member of the Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization of the City Bar. Tom was the first Chair and is currently a member of the Chapter 11 Lawyers’ Advisory Committee of the Eastern District of New York Bankruptcy Court, which was established by the Court as a liaison between the Bankruptcy Judges of the District and its Bankruptcy Bar.
Over the last decade, Tom has represented parties involved in some of the most notable bankruptcy cases including A&P, Angelica, Blockbuster, Boston Generating, Borders, Hostess, Lehman Brothers, Lyondell, Patriot Coal, Sears, SunEdison, Tribune, Vitamin World, Westinghouse, and Windstream to name a few. Additionally, Tom has experience with bankruptcy cases of manufacturers, importers, retailers and service companies in a wide array of industries, including energy, telecommunications, finance, real estate, electronics, software, fashion, manufacturing, not-for-profit, and healthcare. Tom has also served as a court-appointed examiner and mediator in numerous cases pending in the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the District of Delaware. He has mediated dozens of preference and fraudulent conveyance lawsuits and claims objections, as well as several contentious legal battles involving creditors and/or creditors’ committees and chapter 11 debtors over plans of reorganization.
Areas of Concentration
- Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization Law
- Loan Workouts and Restructuring
- Corporate Finance and Commercial Lending
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Written numerous articles on bankruptcy-related topics in various publications including The Bankruptcy Strategist, The American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, and The American Bar Association’s The Business Lawyer.
- Represents numerous lenders in bankruptcy proceedings and out-of-court workouts
- Represents the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the New York Chapter 11 proceedings of Robert Sillerman, a media entrepreneur once included on the Forbes list of 400 wealthiest
- Represents a regional bank as one of the petitioning creditors in the involuntary chapter 7 case of Michael D’Alessio pending in the Southern District of New York; D’Alessio was recently sentenced to a long prison term for wire and bankruptcy
- Represented national leader in oil and gas field servicing in Chapter 11 proceedings of Sabine Oil and Gas in the Southern District of New
- Represented foreign representative appointed in Singapore bankruptcy, in Chapter 15 proceeding of Berau Capital Resources in the Southern District of New
- Represented international insurance company, several mutual funds, and a large utility as defendants in the “LBO-clawback” multi-district complex litigation pending in the District Court for the Southern District of New York, which litigation was spawned from the Tribune Company Chapter 11 proceedings in
- Represented several mutual funds and a trust in the claw-back litigations arising from the merger involving Lyondell Corporation and its related Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, all pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New
- Represented regional bank as DIP lender in the Chicago Chapter 11 proceedings of Qualteq, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of credit and gift cards.
- Represented indenture trustee for approximately $9 million in Industrial Revenue bonds issued by the NYC Industrial Development Agency, in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Metro Biofuel pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New
- Appointed as Examiner in the Chapter 11 proceedings of Madison 92nd Street Associates, the owner of a 226-room Upper East Side hotel, which was recently sold in a bankruptcy court auction for approximately $85 million.
Professional & Community Activities
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Treasurer
- City Bar Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization, Member and Former Chair
- Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys
- EDNY Chapter 11 Lawyers’ Advisory Committee, Member and Former Chair
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Long Island, Board Member and Former Chair
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as one of the region’s “Top Legal Eagles” by Long Island Pulse Magazine, 2010 – 2014.
- Recognized as Long Island's top bankruptcy attorney by Long Island Pulse Magazine, 2015.
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest level in professional excellence.
- Recognized by New York Super Lawyers, 2013 – 2018.