Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 2007
B.A., Boston College, 2001
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains Precedent Making Decision after Trial Directing Use of Total Cost Method on a Public Construction Contract to Calculate Multi-Million Dollar Damages because of a Significant Change in the Character of the WorkOctober 5, 2011
- Cullen and Dykman obtains $3.25 million settlement from The City of New York for GII Industries, Inc.September 22, 2011
Elizabeth Usinger is a partner in the firm’s Banking department, where she handles all types of civil litigation, with a focus on construction law. Ms. Usinger is an experienced litigator who represents many of the firm’s clients, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in the state and federal courts in New York and New Jersey. She has over ten years of experience in handling all aspects of litigation, from commencement, discovery and expert disclosure, through motion practice, trial and appeal. Ms. Usinger has also successfully assisted clients with dispute resolution through mediation and settlement.
Ms. Usinger’s construction law practice includes: representing heavy construction contractors in breach of contract and delay claims arising out of public construction contracts with various agencies of the City and State of New York; representing contractors as debtors in bankruptcy and adversary proceedings; claim preparation and negotiation; and contract drafting, interpretation, and compliance. She is also experienced in change order negotiations, payment and performance bond claims, and resolving subcontractor claims and lien law matters, both in and out of court. Her recent experience includes representation of a Chapter 11 debtor in a multimillion dollar breach of contract claim against a public agency. In addition, Ms. Usinger has been instrumental in the successful pursuit and recovery of millions of dollars in outstanding payments due to a construction contractor, outside of litigation.
In addition to her construction practice, Ms. Usinger represents a diverse client base, including financial institutions, private lenders, utility contractors and individuals in a wide variety of matters including breach of contract claims, business torts, fraudulent conveyances, debt recovery, and equitable claims.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Nassau County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Professional Women in Construction, New York Chapter
- Member, Nassau County Women's Bar Association
- Member, Construction Financial Management Association
Honors & Awards
- Articles & Notes Editor, St. John’s Law Review
- Articles & Notes Editor, St. John’s Journal of Catholic Legal Studies
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Star List (2015 - 2017) by the Super Lawyer legal rating service issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this award has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Speaking Engagements
- Elizabeth Aboulafia, Hayley Dryer, and Elizabeth Usinger Honored as Long Island Outstanding Women in LawApril 4, 2016
- April 28, 2015
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains $15.358 Million Settlement from the State of New York for GII Industries, Inc. f/k/a Grace Industries, Inc.March 6, 2013
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains Precedent-Making Decision after Trial Directing Use of Total Cost Method on a Public Construction Contract to Calculate Multi-Million Dollar Damages because of a Significant Change in the Character of the WorkOctober 5, 2011