Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1985
- B.S., Fordham University, College of Business Administration, 1982
James G. Ryan
James Ryan is the head of the Commercial Litigation Department and is the chair of the firm’s Employment Litigation practice. As head of the Commercial Litigation Department, Mr. Ryan has extensive experience in representing clients in financial services, corporate and energy related litigation in the federal and state courts, and in various forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Ryan's practice focuses on energy related matters which include a broad range of disputes arising out of the production, transportation, distribution and sale of natural gas, natural gas liquids and electric power. He also represents numerous financial instutions in matters involving the defense of "lender liability" claims or other allegation of lender misconduct, actions to recover unpaid obligations from principals and guarantors, foreclosure actions, and assertion of claims for fraud on the part of borrowers or their principals.
As chair of the firm's Employment Litigation practice, Mr. Ryan also regularly represents the firm’s clients in cases involving discrimination claims, post employment covenants, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secrets, whistleblowers, proprietary information, unfair business practices, covenants not to compete, hiring, promotion, termination, discipline, reductions in force, and sexual harassment. His caseload also includes matters involving the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII, HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley, FERPA, ERISA, the New York State Human Rights Law, and the New York State Labor Law. Mr. Ryan appears on behalf of the firm’s clients in federal and state courts, before federal, state and local administrative agencies, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings relating to all of the aforementioned areas. He offers advice and training, including seminars and bulletins, on avoiding discrimination, employment, and education claims. Mr. Ryan also contributes articles to and comments for various publications concerning e-discovery, education, and employment matters. He also co-authors blogs on these issues.
In 2008, Mr. Ryan founded the firm’s E-Discovery Practice Group. The E-Discovery Group provides cost effective, expeditious and practical solutions to even the most challenging issues involving electronically stored information so that a client can focus its resources on its business and operations. The E-Discovery Group also develops or reviews document retention policies to ensure compliance with the litigation hold process, e-discovery obligations and statutory/regulatory requirements. As a result of his lectures on e-discovery, in September, 2010, Mr. Ryan was appointed to the New York State Unified Court System E-Discovery Working Group and to its education subcommittee to develop educational materials, including CLE courses and a bench book, on e-discovery for the New York State judiciary and judicial staff.
Mr. Ryan grew up in Massachusetts, graduated from Fordham University School of Law in 1985 and has been a litigator with the firm since shortly after his graduation from Fordham. He became a member of the firm in 1995. Mr. Ryan is a trained mediator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
upcoming and recent speaking experience
- Invited Speaker, E-Discovery and The Municipal Attorney: Compliance and Cost Control Issues. NYS Bar Association, Municipal Law Section (October 17-18, 2014)
- Invited Speaker, Thirty-Fifth Annual American Gas Association Legal Forum (July 15-17 2012)
- “E-Discovery in Federal Litigation” (June 20, 2012 Suffolk County Bar Association)
- “Federal Discovery” (May 30, 2012, Nassau County Academy of Law)
- “E-Discovery in Federal Litigation” (January 17, 2012)
- “Hiring and Firing: Background Checks, Social Media, and Other Arresting Developments” (October 25, 2011- Ali Aba Webcast).
- “Electronic Discovery Update: New York State Case Law and Developments” (June 14, 2011- Ali Aba Webcast).
- Electronic Discovery Presentation to the Appellate Division, First Department (May 2, 2011)
- “E-discovery: What the Litigator Needs to Know to Avoid Professional Liability” (June 7, 2010).
- “Electronic Discovery – Avoiding Disaster” (September 9, 2009).
Articles and publications
- “New York Appellate Division Adopts Zubulake Standard to Determine Which Party Should Bear the Cost of Producing ESI” (March 20, 2012)
- “New York’s Appellate Division for the First Department Adopts Zubulake” (February 13, 2012)
- “NYSBA Releases Guidelines for the Best Practices In E-Discovery In New York State and Federal Courts” (January 5, 2012)
- “A Closer Look at Microsoft Outlook” (October 28, 2011)
- “NY Appellate Division Says Cost/Benefit Analysis Must be Conducted for Third-Party ESI” (October 6, 2011)
- “I Have a Duty to Preserve Social Media Content, but Now What?” (September 19, 2011)
- “Can Your Insult Your Employer On Facebook?” (September 8, 2011)
- “Court Reminds Advocates the Importance of Making Timely Spoliation Motions” (August 9, 2011)
Professional & Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor, Molloy College
- Appointed Member: New York State Unified Court System’s E-Discovery Working Group
- Serves on the Council of Overseers for the Tilles Center for the Performing Arts
- Transportation Committee of the Long Island Association
- Board Member and Coach, Rockville Centre Soccer Club
- Former Chair, Rockville Centre Travel Soccer Program
- New York State Bar Association
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Mediation Panel of the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Judicial Screening Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Council
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Ryan maintains an AV "pre-eminent" rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He was selected to the 2012, 2014 and 2014 New York Super Lawyers lists for his high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. In September, 2010, Mr. Ryan was appointed to the New York State Unified Court System E-Discovery Working Group and to its education subcommittee to develop educational materials, including CLE courses and a bench book, on e-discovery for the New York State judiciary and judicial staff. In July 2014 he was appointed to Judicial Screening Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association.
News & Speaking Engagements
- James G. Ryan is named as a 2014 "Top Rated Lawyer" in the area of litigation by Martindale-Hubbell and the New York Law Journal.September 30, 2014
- August 25, 2014
- Wall Street Journal quotes Cullen and Dykman LLP partner, James G. Ryan, in racial profiling case brought against BarneysAugust 12, 2014Wall Street Journal
- James Ryan, Thomas Wassel and Robert Wakeman Conduct Seminar on "Wage/Hour Issues and Self-Directed Services" for Interagency CouncilJune 11, 2014
- February 21, 2014
- October 3, 2013
- The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel magazine - February 2013 issue
- July 17, 2012
- May 30, 2012
- October 25, 2011
- Two Cullen and Dykman Partners Invited to Serve on New York State Chief Administrative Judge Ann Pfau’s Task Forces Involving Electronic Discovery and Foreclosures2011