Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1978
- B.A., Columbia College, 1974
Jean-Pierre van Lent
Jean-Pierre is a senior litigator with 38-years of experience successfully trying a broad range of cases. He tries cases in the federal district and bankruptcy courts and in the state courts of New York, including administrative tribunals, and on a pro hac vice basis in other jurisdictions. His extensive litigation expertise includes alternative dispute resolution, arbitration and mediation and appellate practice before the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Appellate Division Departments of the New York State Supreme Courts.
Jean-Pierre successfully represents corporate and individual defendants in actions alleging liabilities in diverse areas of law including antitrust, commercial, construction, environmental (CERCLA, RCRA, New York State Navigation Law), employment and labor, intellectual property, maritime, products liability, professional malpractice (medical, legal, accounting, architectural, engineering, surveyor, broker), insurance and reinsurance, and toxic torts (asbestos, lead-based paint, mold, PCBs, pesticides, volatile organic compounds). He also provides advice on insurance coverage to carriers and policyholders and litigates declaratory judgment actions involving all types of insurance lines of coverage.
He currently focuses his practice on bankruptcy adversary proceedings, all types of commercial litigation with a specialty in construction contract disputes in the public and private sectors, and insurance coverage advice and related declaratory judgment litigation.
Areas of Concentration
- Contract advice and litigation
- Coverage advice and litigation
- Business disputes and litigation
News & Speaking Engagements
- Cullen and Dykman Successfully Confirms Chapter 11 Plan for Construction Contractor Based on $17.5 Million Dollar Settlement with the Port AuthorityJanuary 6, 2017
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains $15.358 Million Settlement from the State of New York for GII Industries, Inc. f/k/a Grace Industries, Inc.March 6, 2013
- Cullen and Dykman Obtains Precedent-Making Decision after Trial Directing Use of Total Cost Method on a Public Construction Contract to Calculate Multi-Million Dollar Damages because of a Significant Change in the Character of the WorkOctober 5, 2011