Areas of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Lending
- General Administration and Corporate Operations
- Loan Restructuring, Workouts and Foreclosure
- Commercial Litigation
- New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- J.D., St. John's University School of Law,1982
- B.A., Hamilton College, magna cum laude, 1976
- July 21, 2011
John T. Curran
Since 1983, John Curran has been practicing in the Banking and Real Estate areas. He represents lenders in secured financial structures, specializing in the financing of multi-family housing, mixed-use properties, commercial office buildings and shopping centers. Mr. Curran’s expertise in these areas extends to financing arrangements across the country, having provided guidance to several major institutions in lending and closings outside of the New York area in approximately twenty states across the United States.
In addition to the transactional side, Mr. Curran regularly provides advice to major institutional clients on drafting all phases of commercial loan documentation, including commitment letters, notes and mortgages as well as a wide range of guaranties and environmental indemnities. He regularly provides advice to the firm's commercial banking clients to ensure continuing compliance with federal and state regulations governing commercial lending and commercial mortgages.
Mr. Curran's experience also extends to the Workout and Restructuring area. He has broad experience in all phases of mortgage foreclosures and enforcement, ranging from major commercial loans to single family houses and cooperative apartments. Mr. Curran represents lenders in all aspects of commercial workouts and restructuring, including note sales, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, short sales and REO sales (individual and bulk). In this most recent business cycle, Mr. Curran has overseen numerous bulk transactions involving foreclosures of multiple related loans and the modification and restructure of bulk loan packages. As on the transactional side, Mr. Curran also provides advice to the firm’s institutional clients on foreclosures outside of the major New York metropolitan area, working with local counsel in various states to guide clients through enforcement processes out-of-state.
Mr. Curran has litigated many other matters on behalf of the firm's banking clients, including title claims, account disputes, receivership matters, landlord-tenant disputes and contract disputes. His experience extends to the appellate level, having successfully argued and guided numerous cases through the appellate process.
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Curran is a contributing author to the New York State Bar Association publication entitled "Mortgage Foreclosures in New York".
News & Speaking Engagements
- Cullen and Dykman LLP Successfully Completes Bulk UCC Foreclosure Auction of 89 Manhattan Coop Units and Defeats TRO ApplicationJuly 21, 2011
- Mr. Curran has previously served as a guest lecturer on several CLE panels, speaking on the topic of Mortgages and Mortgage Foreclosures.