Areas of Practice
- New York
District of Columbia
U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
J.D., Rutgers School of Law (1986)
B.A., University of Virginia (1983)
Kenneth T. Maloney
Mr. Maloney has considerable “first chair” experience representing clients in rate proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission ("FERC"), the Public Service Commission of the State of New York (“NYPSC”), the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities ("NJBPU") and other regulatory agencies. He has represented both applicants and intervenors before all agencies. Proceedings have included base rate proceedings, single issue cost recovery proceedings, and proceedings to recover costs outside the scope of traditional ratemaking proceedings. Mr. Maloney recently represented Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, The Brooklyn Union Gas Company and KeySpan Gas East Corporation before the NYPSC, National Grid Generation LLC before FERC and Pivotal Utility Holdings, d/b/a Elizabethtown Gas before the NJBPU.
Mr. Maloney has advised gas, electric and water utilities with respect to the regulatory aspects of mergers and acquisitions, including negotiating purchase and sale agreements and obtaining regulatory approvals from FERC, NYPSC, and NJBPU. Mr. Maloney recently represented AGL Resources Inc. in obtaining regulatory approval in New Jersey of its merger with The Southern Company. He also represented KeySpan Corporation in obtaining regulatory approval of its merger with National Grid plc.
Mr. Maloney has represented clients in obtaining necessary state and federal regulatory approvals for new projects. He has also assisted clients in negotiating asset management/energy supply arrangements and special end use transportation agreements and obtaining regulatory approvals of same. Mr. Maloney represented National Grid USA in obtaining regulatory approvals for its sale of the Ravenswood Generating Station. He has represented natural gas storage companies in obtaining rate and certificate authorizations from FERC.
Mr. Maloney has represented and advised clients in connection with audit/enforcement actions before FERC, the NYPSC and the NJBPU.
Mr. Maloney has advised clients in their efforts to comply with restructuring initiatives including FERC Order Nos. 636 and 637 and state utility restructuring initiatives before the NJBPU and NYPSC. Mr. Maloney has represented and advised clients in a host of regulatory proceedings involving miscellaneous matters such as property sales, stock issuances and affiliate transaction issues.
Mr. Maloney has prepared numerous briefs in State and Federal appellate matters on behalf of petitioners and intervenors. Mr. Maloney has argued several appeals.
Law Clerk – New Jersey Office of Administrative Law (1986-1987)
Professional & Community Activities
- Arbitrator – District of Columbia Attorney/Client Arbitration Board, New York State Bar Association. Business Law Section, Public Utility Law Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association, American Bar Association, Public Utility, Communications, and Transportation Law Section
- Society of Gas Lighting
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the Super Lawyers List (2010 - 2015) by the Super Lawyer legal rating service issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this award has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- America’s Best Lawyers – Washington, D.C. – Energy
News & Speaking Engagements
- April 28, 2015
- October 3, 2013
- Mr. Maloney has spoken to industry groups and bar associations on a number of issues of energy and utility law.