Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. Tax Court
B.A., Manhattan College (1963)
J.D., New York University School of Law (1966)
Peter J. Mastaglio
Mr. Mastaglio has served as head of the firm's litigation department and is at present the senior partner in the commercial litigation section dealing with such diverse matters as employment discrimination, civil rights, real property, real property taxation, eminent domain, zoning and land use, general contract and corporate law, constitutional law, real estate law, creditors' rights and professional malpractice. He has extensive trial experience in the state and federal courts and before assorted arbitration panels. He has argued numerous appeals before the New York Court of Appeals, the Appellate Divisions of the New York State Supreme Court, and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
He became associated with Cullen and Dykman LLP in 1969, concentrating his efforts in the early years in the fields of banking and general litigation. He became a member of the firm in 1977.
He is qualified for and listed on the Roster of Mediators maintained by the Justices of the Commercial Division, Supreme Court, Nassau County and Queens County. He has been appointed and served as a mediator in a number of complex commercial cases.
He has also served as a court-appointed receiver overseeing the marketing and auction sale of a block of improved and unimproved commercial and residential properties in three counties.
Mr. Mastaglio began his legal career as a Judge Advocate and ultimately a Captain in the United States Marine Corps serving in Quantico, Virginia and in the former Republic of Vietnam.
Professional & Community Activities
- Former Chairman of the YMCA of Long Island, Inc. and has served as a director since 1981
- Member of the Board of Governors of Touro Law School from approximately 1995 to 2014
- Member since 1986 of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Second, Tenth, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts
- Fellow and 10th District Co-Chair of the New York Bar Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Mastaglio was honored as the Man of the Year by the Long Island YMCA in 2002 and since 2008 his name was included on the list of New York Super Lawyers – Metro Edition for business litigation. He is also listed among the top attorneys in the New York Metro Area for business litigation.
News & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Mastaglio is the author of Chapter 58 in Haig, Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts (4th Ed. 2015).
- April 28, 2015
- October 3, 2013