Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. Tax Court
B.A., Manhattan College (1963)
J.D., New York University School of Law (1966)
Peter J. Mastaglio
Peter has served as head of the firm's litigation department and now concentrates his practice on such diverse matters as employment discrimination, civil rights, real property, real property taxation, eminent domain, zoning and land use, general contract and corporate law, constitutional law, real estate law, creditors' rights and professional malpractice. He has extensive trial experience in the state and federal courts and before assorted arbitration panels. Peter has argued numerous appeals before the New York Court of Appeals, the Appellate Divisions of the New York State Supreme Court, and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Peter is qualified for and listed on the Roster of Mediators maintained by the Justices of the Commercial Division, Supreme Court, Nassau County and Queens County. He has been appointed and served as a mediator in a number of complex commercial cases.
Peter has also served as a court-appointed receiver overseeing the marketing and auction sale of a block of improved and unimproved commercial and residential properties in three counties and as a court-appointed referee to supervise discovery and rule on discovery issues that may arise in complex litigation.
Professional & Community Activities
- Former Chairman of the YMCA of Long Island, Inc. and has served as a director since 1981
- Member of the Board of Governors of Touro Law School from approximately 1995 to 2014
- Member since 1986 of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Second, Tenth, Eleventh and Thirteenth Judicial Districts
- Fellow and formerly 10th District Co-Chair of the New York Bar Foundation
Honors & Awards
- Honored as the Man of the Year by the Long Island YMCA in 2002.
- Selected to the Super Lawyers List, Upstate New York Edition (2008 - 2016) by the Super Lawyer legal rating service issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at: http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this award has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
News & Speaking Engagements
- Mr. Mastaglio is the co-author of Chapter 58 in Haig, Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts (4th Ed. 2015).
- April 28, 2015
- October 3, 2013