Areas of Practice
- Energy and Utilities
- Environmental Law
- New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 1983
- B.A., St. John’s University, St. John’s College, 1980
- Holy Cross High School, 1976
Robert J. Sorge
Robert J. Sorge has been providing advice and counseling to the firm’s clients on a variety of commercial, regulatory, valuation and environmental matters since 1983.
In particular, Mr. Sorge has represented energy and utility clients on the development and approval of energy projects including the acquisition of necessary permits and approvals and real estate rights and related state and local environmental reviews. He has significant experience in obtaining permits, franchises and consents as well as acquiring real estate (fee and easement) rights through eminent domain proceedings for the firm’s clients. Mr. Sorge has also counseled client’s on numerous environmental issues involving federal, state and local laws including due diligence and compliance activities.
Mr. Sorge has extensive experience in representing regulated clients including local distribution companies, interstate pipelines and telecommunications companies in efforts to reduce real property and special franchise taxes. He has successfully litigated property tax related challenges based upon claims of illegality and unconstitutionality on behalf of the firm’s clients which have resulted in significant refunds and reduced future tax burdens.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Real Property Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Environmental Section
- Past member, New York State Condemnation Conference
- Addressed the Brooklyn Bar Association on the topic of environmental issues involved in real estate transactions
- Served as a Member and Secretary of the Brooklyn Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Served as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Brooklyn Alliance
Honors & Awards
- Member of Law Review, St. John’s University School of Law