Areas of Practice
- New York
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law, 1983
- B.A., St. John’s University, St. John’s College, 1980
Robert J. Sorge
Robert J. Sorge has been providing advice and counseling to the firm’s clients on a variety of commercial, regulatory, valuation and environmental matters since 1983.
In particular, Bob represents energy and utility clients on the development and approval of energy projects including the acquisition of necessary permits and approvals and real estate rights and related state and local environmental reviews. He has significant experience in obtaining permits, franchises and consents as well as acquiring real estate (fee and easement) rights through eminent domain proceedings for the firm’s clients. Bob has also counseled client’s on numerous environmental issues involving federal, state and local laws including due diligence and compliance activities.
Bob has extensive experience in representing regulated clients including local distribution companies, interstate pipelines and telecommunications companies in efforts to reduce real property and special franchise taxes. He has successfully litigated property tax related challenges based upon claims of illegality and unconstitutionality on behalf of the firm’s clients which have resulted in significant refunds and reduced future tax burdens.
Areas of Concentration
- Real property taxation
- Project development and permitting
- Environmental Compliance
- Represented energy client on permitting and construction of interstate natural gas pipeline
- Represented petroleum products pipeline in litigation reducing special franchise and real property tax burden
- Represented natural gas distribution company in franchise and right-of-way acquisition matters
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Environmental and Real Property Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Environmental Section
Honors & Awards
- Member of Law Review, St. John’s University School of Law