Areas of Practice
- New Jersey
U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 2003
B.A., Cornell University, 1999
Samit G. Patel
Samit G. Patel represents clients in New York and New Jersey State and Federal Courts in a variety of matters and regularly advises corporate officers on litigation and transactional strategies. His experience includes litigating claims involving mortgage and mechanic’s lien foreclosures, FDCPA, TILA, RESPA, mortgage priority disputes, title and property (including loss payee) insurance claims, adverse possession, breach of contract, fraud, conversion, forfeiture, and unfair business practices. Mr. Patel also has extensive appellate practice experience and has successfully litigated numerous high profile appeals involving mortgage foreclosure. He has also represented lenders in post-foreclosure litigation, State and Federal governmental investigations and inquiries, and subpoena compliance matters.
In representing institutional clients, Mr. Patel’s past experience includes:
- Successfully handling proceedings before the U.S. Supreme Court in an action alleging violation of the ECOA and tortious interference with prospective business.
- Obtaining an Order quashing multiple subpoenas at a pre-motion conference without the necessity of filing a formal motion in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Obtaining a dismissal of claims alleging fraud and civil-RICO violations in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Obtaining a dismissal of claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty, unjust enrichment, and fraudulent misrepresentation in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully litigating an appeal involving the Uniform Commercial Code and the issue of standing to commence a foreclosure action in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division, Second Department.
- Successfully litigating contested actions for breach of line of credit agreements as well as contested mortgage foreclosures.
- Coordinating a large-scale document production in response to a subpoena issued by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of New York.
- Obtaining a dismissal of a loan purchaser’s claims for breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and unjust enrichment.
- Obtaining a dismissal of a public adjuster’s claims for equitable lien, unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.
In addition, Mr. Patel regularly advises lenders on issues concerning commercial loan financial reporting requirements as well as violations and litigation affecting commercial real estate.
Professional & Community Activities
Member, New York State Bar Association
News & Speaking Engagements
- December 19, 2017
- May 11, 2017
- Marianne McCarthy and Samit Patel Discuss Foreclosure Auction Bidding on NYC Real Estate with the New York PostNovember 15, 2016
- January 15, 2015
- July 31, 2013